Discover BUiD / Environmental Impact Strategic Plan 2019- 2024
* Staff are advised to use both sides of paper.
* Shred and reuse unwanted paper for packing.
* Paper recycling boxes across the campus.
* Staff are advised to avoid color printing.
* Use recycled toner and ink.
* Staff are advised to distribute memos via email.
* Store manuals, policies and other documents online.
* BUiD donate to charity the unused computers, laptops and other equipment.
* BUiD always buy high-quality equipment energy efficient equipment.
* Lights are switched off during non-office hours and holidays
* As current light bulbs burn out, they are replaced with compact fluorescent bulbs / LED lights.
* Created an afterhours and weekend thermostat setting.
* Office are designed to take advantage of natural lighting
* Use only sustainable cleaning material for routine office cleaning.
BUiD is firmly committed to the principles of sustainability. The University recognises that its activities impact upon the environment through its routine internal operations, its infrastructural development and its influence on the wider community.
* In conjunction with local, national and other agencies, promote and raise awareness of good environmental management policies and practices among staff, students and other stakeholders across the University.
* Promote a purchasing policy which favours those products and services which cause the least harm to the environment.
* Seek to integrate a consideration of environmental issues into all relevant aspects of the University’s teaching and research activities.
* Continue to reduce the consumption of primary raw materials and seek to enhance the contribution of energy efficient, low carbon measures, recyclable components and renewables.
* Implement sound long-term waste management strategies to reduce overall waste production and increase the recycled component of the waste stream.
* Encourage and facilitate sustainable modes of transport to, from and within the University.
* Develop and maintain the grounds and buildings of the University in an environmentally sensitive way, seeking to protect and enhance natural habitats and biodiversity.
* Heat recovery methods incorporated into HVAC systems.
* Variable air flow (VAV) system and right sizing HVAC
* Aggressive day-lighting strategies
* Chilled beam HVAC technologies in offices
* Reflective roof materials that reduce the heat island effect
* Install energy efficient models including LEDs lights across the campus.
* These energy efficient lamps are supported further by lighting controls such as daylight sensors. These adjust the lighting level depending on the amount of natural light, further reducing the lamps’ demand for energy.
* Ensure extensive, high quality landscaping with high quality green spaces.
* A campus wide water recycling network will be included as part of the sustainable drainage strategy, which will include the use of storm water harvested from across the campus, as non-potable water to serve residential dwellings and provide water for irrigation of public spaces and flushing toilets.
* An innovative waste collection strategy will be designed. Recycling will be integrated.
* Reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with waste management and disposal, and keep overall waste management costs to a minimum.
* Each department will be tasked with creating a document that reflects the discipline of the department and how it is connected to the university’s sustainability priorities.
* External partnerships allow us to expand opportunities to connect our faculty and students with real-world projects beyond our campus that can be replicated in our buildings and operations
* Plan set a goal to make climate change and sustainability part of the curriculum and educational experience available to all BUiD students.
Block 11, 1st and 2nd floor, Dubai International Academic City PO Box 345015, Dubai, UAE
Tel: +971 4 279 1400
Email: [email protected]
Copyright © 2023 The British University in Dubai. All rights reserved.